Everyone knows the story about the starving artist. But what happens when the artist breaks their arm? Is that the end of their career? I don’t think it should be. That’s why I created the Musician Treatment Foundation (MTF).
What is The Musician Treatment Foundation?
The Musician Treatment Foundation is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing surgical and related care for under and uninsured professional musicians.
Since professional musicians spend on average 90% of their time performing live and on the road and away from personal and medical support systems, it’s important for there to be someone to take care of them no matter where they are.
As a part of the mission of MTF, we’re working to connect musicians all across the country with surgeons in their area.
Why was it created?
MTF was created because I saw a need. My cousin Thor, an incredible musician and prominent figure in the Austin music community, lacerated a tendon in his hand. When I heard about this, I wanted to help immediately. I flew him up to New York and was able to treat him at my office pro bono.
This gave me the realization that I could help other musicians just like him, so I created MTF in order to raise money for surgery and related care for under and uninsured musicians.
Our mission is to keep the music playing and we’re driven by five initiatives:
- TREAT the shoulder, elbow, and hand problems of under- and uninsured professional musicians.
- CREATE the first cloud-based platform to allow state-of-the-art remote preoperative, postoperative, and non-operative continuity of care.
- BUILD the first physician-surgeon network and musician registry dedicated to facilitating care across the world.
- EDUCATE musicians, both amateur and professional, on preventative techniques that will minimize or prevent musician-specific injuries.
- SHARE new research and outcomes data with the world to illuminate the unique diagnostic and treatment issues facing all musicians.
How Can You Help?
If you’re interested in helping us keep the music playing, please visit our website to donate: mtfusa.org/donate. We will continue to share stories of the musicians that your donation has helped support on social media and our website.
Interested in attending the next MTF fundraising event? Bill Evans, Steve Lukather, and friends will be playing for us at The Iridium in New York City on December 5th! Check out our event schedule and get more information at mtfusa.org/events.